Sunday, March 14, 2010

Style Sunday - An Interview with Photographer Joanna Kapica

The moment I saw Joanna's photography, my heart skipped a beat. Her work is so reminiscent of works by the seminal photographers of F64, whose names still resonate across the decades. With the photographic sensibilities of a modern-day Edward Weston, Joanna creates works that are monumental and sculptural, while infusing them with a femininity and sensuality. Everything from the silken petal of a rose bud to gears and chains invites you to stop and contemplate their world.


Photographer Joanna Kapica has been using photography to present her unique way of seeing the world for last about 5 years. "Of course, during that time my skills, techniques and even way of presenting subjects has changed and evolved," said Kapica. "I grew in that field. I started simply with basic camera and slowly, along with my skills, I have upgraded equipment." Currently Kapica shoots with the Nikon dSLR system. "My macro lens and extension tubes seem to be my favorite pieces of equipment to use," she said.
This week FPOE took some time to meditate on her work.

FPOE
When did you realized you were a photographer? Was it a gradual process or did it hit you at once?

Joanna
In my case I think it was more my friends that helped me realize that. I have been photographing nature for some time and one of them helped me realize that it's really more than just snapping photos.

FPOE
How would you describe your style?

Joanna
Close ups, shallow depth of field, colors of the Earth. I think the elements mentioned in the previous sentence give a very quick and short description of my work. I like to concentrate on arrangement and a certain part of the subject that I am photographing. Sometimes it's the very core of the flower. Sometimes it's how the flower fits into the surroundings; sometimes it's how it stands out in the surrounding environment. I try to point viewer's attention to a specific element, give them point of interest. Many of them can find their own personal message or special meaning in that composition.

FPOE
What inspires you to pick up your camera?

Joanna
Almost anything. I almost always carry my camera with me. There is always interesting shape, texture, situation, color, or landscape to capture.

FPOE
What subjects really speak to you?

Joanna
As I mentioned earlier, nature is my main inspiration. I find the most interesting plants or flowers are the ones that are not perfect. [I photograph] the damaged or dried ones and show that they still have something beautiful to offer.

FPOE
Can you tell me about an experience or event in your life that expanded the themes of your work?

Joanna
Last year I have been working with my friend, fine art photographer JP Corr III, while he was photographing models. While helping him with set ups and equipment we had spent some time discussing different options, how our work gets created, influenced and what really becomes the big part of it. These were great days and were very helpful in creating a vision in my mind for some of my work. My friend is very inspirational as an artist through his work, but also his personality, his ways of seeing things and the way he shares it with me helps me understand some important parts of my own work and the presentation of it.

FPOE
What was the process that brought you to Etsy?

Joanna
I had known Etsy for few months before I decided to set up shop there. I got attracted to try Etsy after seeing what other great handmade products were being listed there as well as seeing many visual artists presenting and selling there work there.

FPOE

What has your experience selling been?

Joanna
For most of my photographs live experience (art shows etc) brings the best response from my customers. Etsy has been really good site to get some sales and to gain exposure. I have created a few contacts for future possibilities in local art and craft world with Etsy.

FPOE
Do you sell other products other than photos?

Joanna
Photos take 95% of my sales and inventory. The rest consists of photo cards-printed on 100% cotton fine art papers.
FPOE
Any advice to other photographers selling on Etsy?

Joanna
Just be true to your art, be visible, use forums to network with other sellers and share your experiences there. And have fun with it!

To see more of Joanna's work, check out her webpage: http://joannasfoto.com

You can purchase the prints you see here, and more, in her Etsy Shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/JoannasPhotography

4 comments:

  1. Great interview, Joanna is very talented and it's so nice to learn more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful interview & photographer. Joanne's work is so simple & elegant. fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! And I agree - Joanna's work is really stunning. I'm always amazed to discover the work of the talented FPOE ladies. So much variety and beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. We love your supportive comments!