Sunday, February 14, 2010

Style Sunday - an Interview with Photographer Jennifer Henriksen

The work of Jennifer Henriksen, or HolgaJen as she is known in the online world, is haunting and arresting. Her images, whether self portraits or studies of nature, create a visceral reaction in the viewer. Each image seems to reverberate with a life and a story all it's own. What is perhaps most impressive about Henriksen's work is that, in an age where many have gone digital, it continues to be primary film based. In the era of the mega-pixel race, it is refreshing to see an artist so adeptly use a camera as simple and prone to aberration as the Holga.


Henriksen is a self-taught fine art photographer based in London, Ontario, Canada. The subject matter of her work tends to vary between nature, urban and portrait photography. However, perhaps the most stunning images of her portfolio come from a a self portrait project that she has been working on for several years. "I love film-based vintage cameras, and fell in love with the Holga a few years ago," said Henriksen. "This is the camera I use in the majority of my work. A lot of my images are created by experimenting with techniques, such as long exposures, motion blur, film grain and other in camera manipulations." Henriksen spent some time to tell the Female Photographers of Etsy about her journey as a photographer and a fine artist.

FPOE
When did you realized you were a photographer? Was it a gradual process or did it hit you at once?

HolgaJen
It was a gradual process. I've always been a very visual person. I learn better visually and I feel more connected to things when I can see them, rather than just read or hear about them. So, once I stepped into the realm of photography, I knew it was where I should be. It took me a few years however to get comfortable with my work and processes using a Holga and film.

FPOE
How would you describe your style?

HolgaJen
I think a lot of my work tends to be dark and moody. I like the atmospheres I can create with black and white film, and I tend to use this in the majority of my work. Occasionally I will venture into colour and the 'pretty' side of things... but not very often ;) My self portrait work is definitely very dark and personal, giving the viewer a glimpse into my inner self.

FPOE
What inspires you to pick up your camera?

HolgaJen
There is a little voice inside my head that is always pushing me to create - especially when it comes to my self portraits. I can't really explain it but its just always there nagging at me, and eventually I get to a point where I just have to pick up the camera and satisfy that need. A lot of it is driven by emotions and self awareness.

The rest of the time, I like to just get out and explore new places and new techniques to keep things fresh. There is always a way to put a unique perspective on something, no matter where you are. I like to just go places and be open to the possibilities of what pictures I can create that are unique to myself and my style.

FPOE
What subjects really speak to you?

HolgaJen
Aside from myself, which I've already talked about (yes, I talk to myself)... I find that when I am out with my Holga, I have become so close to it, that it's almost like I have a Holga lens in my brain. When I see a subject now that interests me, I can picture in my mind how the end result might look and I can decide whether or not I want to shoot it. Now, this vision I have isn't always correct, but I think I'm getting better at it! I like things that stand out in black and white - things with contrast, texture, or things that are old and abandoned looking. Landscapes and trees interest me as well, when the mood is right. The weather and time of day can make all the difference.

FPOE
Tell me a little bit about your shooting and editing process.

HolgaJen
Anyone who is familiar with a Holga can tell you that the shooting process is fairly simple. You load the film, tape up the camera and off you go! With only 12 frames on a roll, you need to be selective and always have more film on hand, just in case! I've gotten good at changing film in awkward places!

With my self portrait work, I tend to shoot indoors, at night when I am alone and have time to think. Lately, I've been using a candle as my light source and I sometimes experiment with different additions to the lens - tape, filters, etc. Then I think about positioning of the camera, sometimes I use a tripod, and other times I just balance it on whatever is available.

As for editing, I don't do too much to the photos once they've been developed. I touch up levels and do a bit of dust/scratch removal in Photoshop and that's usually it.


FPOE
What was the process that brought you to Etsy?
HolgaJen
I saw a post in another group on Flickr about this FPOE group. I joined, and after reading about other's love of etsy and the learning process - I decided to give it a try. It was fun and interesting learning how to set up my shop - definitely a great experience. I don't sell all of my work on Etsy, only select photos that I think are appropriate and that would be of interest to the general public.

FPOE
*What has your experience selling been?

HolgaJen
It's been a great experience. I have not had a lot of sales, but the ones I did get were a great learning experience, and the feedback from my customers was great.

FPOE
*Do you sell other products other than photos?

HolgaJen
Nope! Just photos at the moment. I may add custom mats to my shop in the near future though.

FPOE
Any advice to other photographers selling on Etsy?

HolgaJen
I'm not an expert by any means, and don't have high sales numbers so I'm not really qualified to give advice on selling :) My piece of advice would be to be true to yourself, and your style and the rest will follow. Be yourself and be open and friendly to your customers.

To see more of Jen's work, check out her links:
Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/HolgaJen
Website http://holgajen.com
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/holgajen/

1 comment:

  1. Wow, awesome article about Jen. I follow her blog and work and am really intrigued by her use of the Holga and her raw talent in her untouched photos. Jen definitely peaked my interest in learning about toy cameras and lomography. It's true we sometimes get caught up in the "pixel race", so Jen's work and philosophy is very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. We love your supportive comments!