Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Style - An Interview with Photographer Melissa Varley

The photographic world of Melissa Varley is like walking through a sensuous lucid dream. Her eclectic collection of photographs evoke snippets of memory and emotion. Each image tells its own story, yet seen together they feel like incredible moments on a journey through the imagination. There is a wonderful contrast of meditative solitude and delicious decadence. Come with us as we visit Melissa's world!

Hailing from Montreal, Quebec Canada, Melissa grew up experiencing the diverse cultures that both of her parents brought into her household. "My mother is French Canadian and my father is english Canadian and I really grew up immersed with both cultures," said Melissa. "My late uncle, Robert Varley, was a an renowned, award-winning Canadian photographer during the 1970's. And I barely have a memory of my grandfather without his 35mm Pentax around his neck. If there was anyone whom I wish could see me now and would be so proud, it would be my grandfather. So I guess photography runs in my blood to a certain extent!" Although armed with a university degree in psychology, Melissa didn't pursue a career in the field. "I don’t work in the field because I wasn’t interested in pursuing it to masters level," she said. "Though I'm forever fascinated and inspired by the human mind and relationships." These days Melissa is a freelance, self-taught photographer. "I've taken basic intro courses but mainly learn photography all on the fly," she said. "I find my interests to be so diverse for subjects, I photograph anything and everything. As I am gaining more experience, I find it's starting to narrow down to preferences and what feels most natural for me. I purchased my first digital SLR, a Canon Rebel Xsi, about a year and a half ago. It's what I shoot with still. I recently bought a 50mm lens and it's my baby! I totally love this lens." According to Melissa her ultimate dream is to acquire a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and a 70-200 mm f/4L USM lens. "I tell myself that maybe if I don’t travel anywhere this year - or the next 5 years it could happen!" She said. "My 2 tripods and remote are indispensable as well." Melissa spent some time to talk to FPOE about her journey as a photographer and her eventual goals in the field.
FPOE
When did you realized you were a photographer? Was it a gradual process or did it hit you at once?

Melissa
I think it was pretty gradual. Ive often been told I had a natural knack for photograph. I really started to take the hobby seriously after being asked to photograph a wedding last fall. I had the time of my life doing it. Now it's something that I totally lose myself in. It's my passion.

FPOE
How would you describe your style?

Melissa
At the moment, eclectic. Like I said , I think I'm really still finding my zone. I love urban photography, candid portraits, self-portraits. Most of my photos will fall into these categories.
FPOE
What inspires you to pick up your camera and what subjects really speak to you?

Melissa
My city inspires me - cities in general I think. I've traveled quite a bit and just witnessing a lifestyle that isn't mine is something that automatically makes me want to pick up my camera. I love London, and Budapest - some of my favorite photos so far come from these places. In my early 20's my roommate at the time and I had our apartment walls was covered in blown up shots of Italy from a trip I'd taken. I'd shot these with a 35mm Nikon camera that was my first 'nice camera'. I remember it had cost me around $400 - and this was in the late 90's - so it was a pretty decent camera! But Montreal is definitely at the heart of a lot of my inspiration: the architecture, the arts, the parks, the festivals, the beautiful people, the hot summers and painfully cold winters. There's so much to get your attention. Besides that, it's candid moments that inspire me, relationshipsand capturing something that doesn’t know its being captured. I believe this is what makes the difference for good wedding photography. Moments in time can be frozen forever with a good candid shot. The people I love inspire me, they are often my muses. My dog, Baron, is a 1 year old black pug and he's real clown and a poser so he keeps me inspired! My portraits of him get the most views on my Flickr! More and more im finding other photographers inspire me. Thanks to online communities such as Etsy and Flickr, I've gotten to know so many amazing ones and met a lot of really nice people. I'm inspired by so many of these artists. Anything vintage and/or retro really sends me away and inspires me. I want my photographs to tell a story - either the real one behind-the-scenes or a personal viewer interpretation. When another photographer is able to do this, my jaw drops and heart soars and I'm filled with inspiration to do the same with my work again and again.

FPOE
Tell me a little bit about your shooting and editing process.

Melissa
Well, I'm most comfortable shooting when I'm alone. I can leave home with my camera and get into the zone. I don’t like making people wait after me - I think that’s the issue. Weddings are an exception. I really get into this world when I'm photographing a wedding. There's so much happiness and so many candid moments, I just go with it. In my home on the weekends, in the morning and afternoon, I do a lot as well. My home is surrounded by large windows all around so the light is natural and nice and conducive to shooting. And I'm more relaxed. I live a pretty intense 9-5 week so I'm tired when I get in at night. But during the week is when ill come up with an idea for a shot and then think about it all week, it evolves. Come the weekend I'm ready to pick up my camera. Oh but how I wish I could do it everyday full time!
In terms of editing I do a lot of Straight Out Of the Camera with just a crop, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with Photoshop. I have Elements 8 right now on my Mac Pro. And I absolutely love Picnik.com! Lately I've been playing around a lot with actions and textures.

FPOE
What was the process that brought you to Etsy?
Melissa
I noticed a lot of photographers on Flickr had links in their profiles to an Etsy shop. I decided to give it a try as well and set up shop last November. I was later invited to join the Female Photographers of Etsy group (fPOE). I love this group! All the women are very talented and have a spirit of supporting and giving advice and promoting growth amongst each other. I try to contribute as much as I can when I can. I'm flattered to be a part of.

FPOE
What has your experience selling been?

Melissa
I can't complain at all. I've had a few sales and it's only been 2 months. It's always surprising when I get one. I still cant believe anyone who doesn’t know me wants to buy my work! I don’t think I could ever get used to that fact. I think the Etsy shop takes a lot of work and time if you want it to be successful. Promotion is important. I try my best with my Facebook fan page, my Flickr, my professional website, and my blog to promote myself. Just maintaining all these cites is really time consuming in itself! My grandfather always said to my brother and sister and I when we were little : 'You gotta sell yourself if you want to be successful'. In this case, truer words were never spoken!

FPOE
Any other advice to other photographers selling on Etsy?

Melissa
Keep doing what you love and the rest will come.


To see more of Melissa's work, check out her Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28070020@N07/

You can also check out her prints for sale in her Etsy Shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/melissavarley

Melissa also has a Blog you can follow:
http://mvarleyphotography.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. I was drawn to Melissa's flickr page when I saw her cool avatar, but I love her style. I also am drawn to the architecture of old cities. Melissa you are one of my faves! I have to plan more time to devote to your stream one of these days! Great interview and your background is so interesting too. I would love to see some of your family's photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful imagery ... the way she captures the architecture is stunning, it's like stepping back in time. All her images contain the same elegance. Gorgeous & a wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel proud when I see some woman at higher place and I had seen the work of Mellissa and she is just incredible..
    luxury bali villa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much everyone for the positive feedback, and Jen for the interview and tweets!! xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. We love your supportive comments!