Sunday, November 29, 2009

Style Sunday - an Interview with Keri-Anne of Gingerlillytea

Today we take a quick trip into the wondrous world of Gingerlillytea as we interview photographer Kerri-Ann. A peek into her shop reveals the sweet world of innocent beauty and gorgeous daydreams. Her images breathe warmth and sunshine into your heart. So FPOE decided it was time to interview the lovely Keri-Anne and find out more about her romantic style of photography.
At 23, Keri-Anne balances being a wife and a mother with being a photographer and an entrepreneur. Having a daughter, she say, has greatly influenced her work.

"I have always been creative and spent a lot of my childhood reading books, " said Keri-Ann citing the Enid Blyton and Beatrix Potter books, as well as many fairy tales, as favorites. "These books have played a big part in my photography.I would say my work is nostalgic and fairytale based. I try in incorporate alot of my childhood memories into my photographs. Also, now that I have a daughter, I want to create photographs that she would love looking at as well."

FPOE
When did you realized you were a photographer? Was it a gradual process or did it hit you at once?

Keri-Anne
When I started out taking photographs, I was not interested in taking photographs of people. I wanted to take photographs of thing that interested me: trees, carousels etc. I certainly didn't want to start self portraits or use myself in photos.
Just after I had my daughter, I became inspired by Tim Walker. His work spoke to me on so many levels and I realised that that was the style I wanted to do. I enjoyed looking at his work and I got so much inspiration from him. Also, a lot of my favourite photographers on flickr were using people as subject. So I took one self portrait and got a great response. Since then I have had so much great feedback on my work and I have defiantly become comfortable and confident in my own style.

FPOE
How would you describe your style?

Keri-Anne
Nostalgic. I think a lot of people can relate to my photographs because everyone was once a child. I love using dolls houses, marionette puppets, bird cages and rocking horses as my main props.

FPOE
What inspires you to pick up your camera?

Keri-Anne
Gosh, I would have to say a certain feeling inside. I can be sitting in the car and go past a field somewhere and get such a lovely feeling that I have to shoot there. I love going on walks through woods and fields with my mother and I always find amazing spots that I just wish I could do a shoot at. Sometimes I don't even have a photograph in mind, and I find a nice place and the photographic idea follows. I prefer shooting outside as there is so much beauty and you are not restricted by light and fixtures.

FPOE
What camera(s) do you wield in your work?

Keri-Anne
I use a Canon SLR mainly but I love Polaroid cameras. I have around 7 film cameras also that I am trying to get to grips with.

FPOE
You spoke of creating photographs that your daughter would love looking at. What subjects really speak to you?

Keri-Anne
I love using my own belongings in shoots. It makes them seem more magical: tea cups, tea sets and dolls houses. Anything that I dearly love, I include in my photographs. It makes the overall photograph more special and serves as a memory for me.

FPOE
Tell me a little bit about your shooting and editing process.

Keri-Anne
I normally plan a shoot in advance. I have a scrap book where I draw poses or write how I want the shoot to go. But I always find that when I get to the location on the day and start the shoot, that my ideas change. I love slightly over exposing my photographs to give it a dreamy effect.
I am very very picky about my photographs and am very self critical of my work, so I have to take many photos to make sure I love everything about a particular shot. I am still learning so I try to take around 5 pictures of the same scene and pose but try to change the light that hits the camera or change the exposure. I try to do as much as I can in the camera instead of Photoshop.
I will then pick out a few photographs I like from the shoot and I put them through a program called Photoscape where I will either lighten them slightly or fade the tones slightly using a pastel filter. I hardly do any big effects in Photoshop. Occasionally I will add a texture.

FPOE
How has being a mother deepened or expanded the themes of your work?

Keri-Anne
Having Elle has changed my work and has influenced it so much. As I said, I want to create photographs that she will love to look. I nearly always take her on my shoots with me and she watches in her pushchair. I love having her at my shoots, because I just draw so much from her and her energy. I want to make her proud.

FPOE
What was the process that brought you to Etsy?

Keri-Anne
I had an Etsy account for around 2 years before I started selling my work on there. I was never confident enough and didn't think anyone would be interested. It was actually my husband who pushed me to do it. He is so supportive and gave me that confidence boost to start selling. I am planning on revamping my whole shop and start selling more that photographs. I want to start making things also to sell such as baby dresses, etc.

FPOE
What has your experience selling been?

Keri-Anne
Really lovely. I have had such lovely feedback and messages from buyers. I would recommend Etsy to anyone. It is so friendly and the whole site is full of lovely creative people.

FPOE
You mentioned plans to expand your shop a bit. Can you tell me more about that?

Keri-Anne
I have recently just moved and now have my own craft room. I am working on getting that organized and then my sewing machine will take a pride place set-up in there so I can get sewing and making.

FPOE
Lastly, any advice to other photographers selling on Etsy?

Keri-Anne
If you are unsure of anything, then message others who are doing well selling the same product as you. Everyone started out somewhere. People are so lovely and helpful and I have had such amazing tips from fellow photographers. Join the forums and chat and you could make some wonderful friends, maybe even for life!

Check out Keri-Anne's dreamy work at Gingerlilly's little shop on Etsy or on her Flickr Photostream.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent interview. I adore Keri-Anne's photography. When I first came across her photos online, I thought they were so unique, dream-like, like nothing I've ever seen before.. yet, always felt in my heart since childhood.
    Lara :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. We love your supportive comments!